Monday 24 May 2010

I'm On A Boat!


When my friends and I first arrived in Amsterdam we decided to explore the town on foot. We were quickly reminded why the city has the nickname, the bike capital of the world. One wrong step into the bike lane would have you out of service for the entire trip. Bikers in Amsterdam were very protective over their bike lane territory. After successfully surviving the walk to the town square I found myself admiring the picturesque canals that lined the city.

On Saturday afternoon the sun was shining and we decided a canal cruise would be a perfect way to spend our afternoon. We were all exhausted from dodging bikers and had seen all the historical sites we wanted to see while in Amsterdam. We walked up and down the canals searching for the cheapest boat cruise we could find. Yes, saving three dollars meant we could afford an ice-cold beer to wash down dinner. After buying our ten-dollar tickets, my friends and I patiently waited for our boat to arrive. We were excited to finally sit on a boat and explore the town from a different perspective. We also were excited to finally rest our legs before they fell off as a result of the immense amount of walking we had done over the previous two days in Amsterdam.

Before taking the canal ride I had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised because I learned so much about Amsterdam on the two-hour canal ride. Canal rides first began when the Queen of Bohemia, Queen Elisabeth, came to the city in the 1600’s. She was welcomed to the city by people cheering on the banks and bridges of the canals. This became a tradition of welcoming well-known people into the city by greeting them with a parade on a canal cruise. My tour guide informed my friends and me that today canal rides are the most desired attraction in the city, with over three million people taking canal cruises a year. I couldn’t believe that after two hours of exploring the canals by boat we still hadn’t seen half of the canals that lined the city.

The canals were breathtaking and I snapped several pictures when exploring the town on foot. After taking the canal cruise I realized the canals were a great way to travel and see the city. The canal system offers several different routes that gives locals and visitors of this city an easy way of transportation to get to work, popular tourist sites, museums, and restaurants that are located all over the city. The canals provide several opportunities for businesses, recreation, and a home for hundreds of locals. Amsterdam is one of the most successful countries in the world because of the thoughtful planning during the golden age of the 17th century city, which developed the canal system. The location of Amsterdam with her waterways has been the heart and origin of wealth. I will always remember the canal cruise in Amsterdam and if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would do it in an instant!

If you are ever are in Amsterdam use this website to book your canal cruise!
http://www.amsterdamcitytours.com/boat-tours.html?gclid=CJfe5YDD66ECFVOY2AodOkrPJw

2 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling when I took a canal ride with my friends last time I was in Amsterdam. You get a different feel of the city from the boat, rather than the hectic streets. I love that you posted more information about the history of the canals and hyperlinks to direct people to the correct domain. I wish you had talked more about internal feelings you felt on the boat, as well as mentioned a few things you would not have seen if you had not taken the canal ride. It sounds like you had a lot of fun in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really disappointed I never got a chance to go on a canal ride. Based on your experience, it seem like a great time. It would have been really interesting to see the city from that perspective. The closest I got to a canal ride was sitting at an outdoor cafe drinking a beer and watching the boats go by. Next time I go back to the city though, I will be sure to try it.

    ReplyDelete